Coast Guard Recover Body Of Drowned Man

Welcome! / is a forum platform for Trinbagonians to connect, discuss topics, share information, and engage in Trinidad & Tobago. Join us today and engage in meaningful conversations!

SignUp Now!



Coast Guard officers have finally recovered the body of Kesion Jonathan Rampersad, who drowned on the eve of his birthday while swimming at the mouth of the Lanse Mitan River in Moruga on Sunday.

Rampersad's father John and his brothers Tristion, 18, and Aashish spent most of yesterday morning searching the shoreline with the hope that his body will be found.

From dawn, Coast Guard divers began combing the mouth of the river hoping to see whether he was stuck in the mud but it was around midday, that the corpse finally came up a short distance from where he disappeared.

Police said Rampersad would have celebrated his 22nd birthday yesterday. Investigators said around 5:30 pm, he was swimming with three friends at the mouth of the river when they got into difficulties.

Two of them managed to get out but Rampersad disappeared under the water.

During an interview Monday, Rampersad's aunt Mary Vialva said the drowning was unexpected and devastating.

Describing her nephew as a kind and helpful man, Vialva said one of Rampersad's friends got into an accident recently and Rampersad took on the responsibility to carry him for therapy.

On Saturday, Rampersad told his family that he was spending the night at his friend's home in Barrackpore.

She said on Sunday, his youngest sister Amelia Rampersad, who lives elsewhere with their mother Mindy Rampersad, visited Rampersad's home at Bunsee Trace so she could tie a rakhi in commemoration of the Hindu festival of Raksha Bandhan which celebrates the bonds between a brother and a sister.

"She waited for him and she kept asking when he would come home but late in the evening, his friend's father came and said they looking for him in the river because they think he drowned," Vialva said.

Rampersad worked part-time as a security officer with Travtech Security Services.

An autopsy will be done on his body today at the Forensic Science Centre. Moruga police are continuing investigations.